Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ahhhhhhh Retirement!




So it has taken me until the 4th week into my retirement to find the time to blog again.

I retired on March 12, 2009. What a wonderful day it was. Jesse and the staff at the Health Care Assn. had a very nice party for me at the office. They did an awsome job of making it special for me. It was so nice to have so many people there to celebrate with me. I received many gifts, flowers, cards and some gift certificates to some very good restaurants. The the big surprise was a new set of golf clubs-Square Two Light and Easy for Women. Also in a gift bag were golf balls and tees and some other golf accessories. I was so surprised. I thought the box with the golf clubs was a decoration as it was covered with pictures of me at different events. Jesse even had a tag engraved for the bag with my name and cell phone number.

When I opened the clock plaque that said "13 Years And A Thousand Memories Frome Everyone At The West Virginia Health Care Association, We Wish You A Wonderful Retirement" I about lost it. I guess it really hit me then. That's my former office behind me and Jesse in the doorway. Does he look like he's guarding the door in case I am tempted to stay?



Here is a nice festive picture of me with my two friends Kathy Lester and Kathy Dent. Besides being my personal friends, Kathy Lester is an investment advisor and Kathy Dent is a partner with Komax Business Machines so they both were there. You can see the desserts in the background and the long stemmed red roses I received from Roger Topping who is the treasurer of the Assn. We had fun working together.






Here I am with Sharon Mullins on my left and Kathy Dent on my right. Sharon and her husband were instrumental in bringing "The Hawley's" to Charleston and our lives have been intertwined ever since. She was the Director of Communications at the WV Div of Culture and History and was responsible for my accounting position there and I referred her to Jesse when she was hired at WVHCA. How nice it was to work with a friend who is such a positive presence and an inspiration to me in many ways.
I met Kathy thru Unity also. Woody used to say, "Kathy is a really awesome person, you need to get to know her" How right he was!






So the party was wonderful. Jerry helped came later in the day and helped me haul everything home. I assembled all the flowers and gifts on my dining room table and then took this picture. My house was like a flower shop for a week. Check out those clubs!

It was a great place to work: A four day week, great co-workers and I had some wonderful experiences. Jerry asks me if I am going to miss the trips to the resorts and the annual trip to the Greenbrier. I might, but I think I will be too busy appreciating the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful days this spring and summer, golfing with my new clubs, the freedome to re-create myself and to pursue my other interests. Thanks for everything WVHCA!

On March 29th there was another WVHCA retirement party for my co-worker Ann Mathews. We got a great picture of the whole staff--oops except for John-- retirees and newbies both.

From Left to Right: Jesse Samples, Debra Anderson, Deatra Adkins, Ann Mathews (the other retiree) Sharon Mullins, Amy Sowards (the brave girl who has my old job), and Karen Finney( Ann's replacement). Missing is John Mullins.

























No comments: